Can Police Enforce a Custody Order in GA?


Yes. The police can enforce a child custody order in GA under certain circumstances. Absent a court order, the police can enforce your child custody arrangement if your child is in imminent danger. If this ever happens, please do not wait to call 911 or the police for immediate help.

On the other hand, if your child isn’t in danger, you must consider talking to the other parent to see if you can agree on a more suitable arrangement. Next, you can request the court to make your parenting arrangement into an official child custody order.

Will The Police Enforce The Custody Order?

While the police have the power to enforce a custody order, they still have the option of not enforcing the order. If you have a child custody order that requires or prohibits specific actions and the other parent violates them, the police can enforce the order. However, the police usually don’t want to interfere with family issues unless the parent’s violation involves a crime, such as child abuse or abduction.

If you are genuinely concerned for your child’s safety or the other parent regularly and blatantly violates the visitation or custody order, trust your guts and report the incident to the police right away. Depending on your specific situation, the police may tell you to talk to your lawyer or a judge. But in case you end up in court again, you can refer to the police report to support your case for custody modification.

Should You Take Your Case to Court?

Before making a rash decision and taking your case to court, you must decide whether involving the courts is the best way to go. Keep in mind that the court will always uphold the best interests of your child. So, if you’re taking your case to court because the other parent is annoying you or you don’t get along with them, you will not get the results you’re looking for.

Ask yourself these questions before moving forward:

  • Is it possible to negotiate with the other parent without involving the court?
  • Is modifying the custody order in everyone’s best interests, especially your child’s?
  • Can a trusted attorney or mediator help you and the other parent reach a better agreement?

If the other parent’s violations are serious, then taking your case to court might be the best option. Serious violations can include:

  • Physical or emotional abuse
  • A pattern of showing up too early or too late for visitations
  • Regularly missing visitation exchanges
  • Interfering with the visitation schedule
  • Not taking your child to school, doctor appointments, scheduled extra-curricular activities, or counseling sessions
  • Abusing drugs or alcohol in front of your child or in a way that compromises their ability to care for your child properly

Reach Out to a Skilled GA Child Custody Lawyer Today

If you have any questions or concerns about your current child custody order or need help enforcing it, don’t hesitate to contact Banks, Stubbs & McFarland. Our GA child custody lawyer can help you better understand your situation and the best solution for your case. Please call 770-887-1209 or reach us online to arrange your free consultation.